McCracken County Youth Soccer Association

The McCracken County Youth Soccer Association Board met at 6:00 pm, Thursday, May 12, 2005 at WKCTC in Crounse Hall. The following were present:

Board Members: Mark Davis, Brett Draffen, Shannon Andrews, Kevin MacDonald, Elaine Stevens, Lisa Oetjen

Guests: Tracey Brindley, Dave Althouse, Angela Conner, Rick Conner

Mark Davis called the meeting to order at 6:05 pm and established a quorum.

Minutes

The minutes of the April meeting were distributed and were available in hard copy format at the meeting. A motion by Elaine Stevens was made to approve the minutes as read. Shannon Andrews seconded the motion which passed unanimously.

Field Repairs

Mark Davis read a report presented to the league by Jack Butler for field repairs. Mr. Butler had spoken with five businesses regarding repairing the fields at the complex. He reported only one bid had been returned. Tri Turf sent a bid of $13,629.25 for repairs to the entire complex. Repairs are needed at the complex due to no major work being done in the last three years. Mr. Butler stated he sent letters for bids to James Sanders Nursery, Eads Landscaping, Glisson's, Kinsey's Lawn, and Tri Turf. Mr. Butler presented to the board the letter sent to the companies. Shannon Andrews motioned to accept the bid from Tri Turf; Lisa Oetjen seconded the motion which passes unanimously.

Referee Cards and Patches

Elaine Stevens reported McCracken County Youth Soccer Association had been shorted law books and patches for the participants of the Referee clinics. Mrs. Stevens spoke with John Rufli, District Four Referee Administrator, who assured her books and patches were being mailed. Mrs. Stevens will pick up the items and distribute them.

Hendron Practice Area Nets

Mark Davis reported Sean Walsh has ordered nets for the Hendron practice area. Volunteer, Randy Harris, will put the nets up when they arrive. Lisa Oetjen reported the area was being maintained nicely this year.

Fundraiser

Mark Davis reported on the opening day soccer festivities as follows: Initial expenditures for the day were $509.00. Proceeds from the bracelet sales were $374.00 resulting in a net loss of $135.00. Mr. Davis reported the activities generated more fun than money. Elaine Stevens suggested reassessing the activities and possibly moving them to the fall. Mr. Davis asked this be added to the June agenda for further discussion. Shannon Andrews and Kelly Davis have lists of volunteers willing to help with the activities.

Coaches Thank You

Mark Davis suggested have some type of "Thank You" event for coaches. Elaine Stevens stated this has been done in the past and was truly appreciated. Mr. Davis will contact various restaurants for proposals to use for a thank you dinner. Kevin MacDonald suggested as a back up plan to do some type of newspaper article on the coaches. Mr. Davis will bring information on the event to the June meeting.

Competitive Team Tryouts

Shannon Andrews proposed setting a day for competitive team tryouts at the complex. Mr. Andrews suggested not calling it "tryouts" but rather "skills evaluation." Mr. Andrews reported we have lost 100+ players to other soccer leagues that offer more competitive teams. He proposed a date for June 4, 2005 with a make up date of June 11, 2005. Mr. Andrews wants board members to help with the events of the day. Mrs. Stevens asked what the league would do if more children show in a certain age group that is not represented at the evaluation, Mr. Andrews responded he felt that would be a great opportunity to get more volunteers involved in coaching. Mr. Andrews stated his ultimate goal was to have more children involved. He will let the board know of any cost incurred during the evaluations. Lisa Oetjen motioned to hold the evaluation day; Elaine Stevens seconded the motion which passed unanimously.

Rescheduling May 28, 2005 Games

Brett Draffen stated he has had numerous calls from coaches wanting to change games off of May 28, 2005 due to it being a holiday weekend. Mr. Draffen is concerned this may backlog our make up day if we have inclement weather the weekend of May 14, 2005. Elaine Stevens stated if a team can play on the 28th, keep the team on the schedule and let teams have individual options. Mrs. Stevens also stated we may need to limit the number of weekday games scheduled due to referee assignments. Mr. Draffen will notify the board if a large amount of teams cancel on the 28th and want to reschedule.

Officer Elections in June

Mark Davis asked which board positions were left to fill at the June board meeting. Dave Althouse has volunteered for the Registrar; Elaine Stevens stated she would like to stay on board as the Competitive Teams Registrar, thus splitting Recreational registration from Competitive. Mrs. Stevens stated she feels the Registrar position should be held by two persons one in each area which would make the position work more efficiently. Lisa Oetjen suggested keeping a current board member in a registrar's position as stated by Mrs. Stevens to help the new volunteer learn the position. Tracey Brindley has volunteered for Secretary and Kevin MacDonald has volunteered for the Illinois Coordinator position. President and Director of Officiating are still open at this time.

Medals for Illinois Players

Kevin MacDonald stated that he would like to hold an awards day for Illinois players and coaches. Mr. MacDonald wishes to do this in order to get more Illinois children, parents, and coaches involved in MCYSA. He would like to do an event at Fort Massac and wishes to really get the word out to the community. Mr. MacDonald asked if the board would be able to help with the event financially. Mark Davis asked Mr. MacDonald to email the board members a proposal for the event before approved.

There being no further business the meeting was adjourned at 7:10 PM. The next monthly meeting is scheduled for 6:00 PM, Thursday, June 2, 2005 at Lone Oak United Methodist Church.